You will have plenty of free time to go and explore Split, take a stroll around your surroundings, catch the most important sites, interact with the locals or simply relax! And of course, you will have your weekends off as well!
You can also join in optional activies (at own cost).
By learning some Croatian, you will be able and communicate more effectively during your stay. Although it's not widely spoken, Croatian is quite special and you are sure to amaze your friends and family by knowing a few phrases!
The language lessons are tailored to each volunteer and are taught by a professional Croatian teacher. All the classes run from Monday to Friday, and the cost is very affordable. Let us know if you are interested!
Tours & Activities
During your free time, you can choose between many tours and activities, we have prepared something for everyone! You will discover them all in the orientation session but here are just some of the examples of the tours & activities you can do:
- Challenge your limits by rafting in the Cetina river!
- Why not try the Zipline in Omis canyon?
- Walk among mesmerizing waterfalls at Plitvice National Park
- Invisible Zagreb: This walking tour will give you a completely different perspective of the capital city, Zagreb. It shows you Zagreb as homeless people view it. It's completely run by former and current homeless people and your donation goes directly to them.
- Cook Croatia: Come to the rural part of Croatia and join a family in learning to make their favorite traditional dish with domestic produce such a prosciutto and wine. What better way to experience the culture than through food!?
- Treasure Hunt Tour: Discover the island Hvar in a unique way: with a treasure hunt book. Follow the clues and solve riddles that take you around landmarks in Hvar. It's a fun group activity or for one person who wants to discover the history
Volunteers stay in our own hostel - Impact House Split. The newly open hostel is rooted in sustainability and features second-hand and furniture made from locally sourced organic materials. We are focused on lowering our water usage and sourcing our foods locally.
Located in a central neighborhood in Split, the hostel is a 5 minute walk from a bus station for all volunteer placements, and a 10 minute walk from the city center. Nearby, volunteers can find everything one might need: local coffee shops, supermarkets, ATMs, pharmacies and other utilities. The hostel offers a laundry service. Please note that the hostel is on the 1st floor and there are only stairs available.
We have an 8-bed mixed dormitory and smaller gendered dormitories. If you request for a gendered one in advance, we will try to accommodate you! Each bed has a set of lockers to store your belongings.
What should I do when I arrive at the airport?
Anja, your local coordinator, will contact you via WhatsApp a week before your arrival, so you can e-meet and discuss your arrival details.
She will be waiting for you at the airport when you arrive and is reachable 24/7, in case of any travel updates or troubles.
Pick-up at the airport is included.
What if I arrive at another location?
Just let us know and we can organize your pick up anywhere in Split.
Volunteers have a full-board stay organized, so you will have breakfast, lunch and dinner included from the 1st Sunday of your program and the last Saturday. Volunteers also have access to a shared kitchen where they can cook a meal and store their food.
Lunch and dinner are organized in a family-owned restaurant below the hostel. The meals are made to order and are traditionally Croatian. You will have the chance to experience the best of the local cuisine.
If you have any diet restrictions or special diet, please let us know as soon as possible so we can prepare to provide appropriate meals for you.
You will have a daily menu to choose from which consists of vegetarian and meat or fish dishes.